Why we love it:
- Awesome views of the Singapore River from the terrace
- Insightful art displayed throughout the hostel exposing Singapore’s history and culture
- Filling breakfast included plus free coffee and filtered water 24/7
What to Expect:
5footway.inn’s Project Boat Quay property stands apart from the rest of the hostel world. This boutique hostel blends style with affordability, the latter proving to be important in upscale, modern Singapore. 5footway.inn attracts curious travelers who want a clean, comfortable place to relax and mingle with others, but also want to venture out and experience Singapore for all its marvels. The walls are filled with cultural and historical artwork that inspire you to explore Singapore and the staff will help plan your time in the city.
5footway.inn has 5 locations in Singapore. We stayed in their ‘Project Boat Quay’ location, which is about as central as it gets. 5footway.inn Project Boat Quay sits above the Boat Quay pedestrian promenade overlooking the numerous shophouses (restaurants) & bars on the ground level. From the terrace, the main hangout spot, you have an unbeatable view across the Singapore River looking out at the famous Marina Bay Sands, the old parliament house, Asian Civilisation Museum and the downtown skyline.
The Boat Quay is right next to the Central Business District of Singapore and is in walking distance to many of sites and neighborhoods you’ll want to check out. From 5footway.inn we walked over to Chinatown, the Bugis area, Little India, and even Orchard Road. The city is quite flat making it easy to walk as long as you can handle the heat! There are also two metro (MRT) stops close by, Clarke Quay (closest) and Raffles Place.
The 5footway.inn staff were helpful, efficient and always available. They really encourage people to go out and explore Singapore, and they help you get orientated in the city. They even supply you with a local SIM card (amazing right??), a map and suggestions depending on your travel preferences and you can always come back to them for more questions.
The Rooms and Property:
The property of 5footway.inn doesn’t look very big from the street but after the recent revamp in 2016, the stylish and inviting property can host over 100 guests at a time. You have the choice between a private room or dormitory, and each bed comes with a private locker, electrical socket and reading light. While simple, the rooms are clean, air-conditioned, and comfortable. The shared bathrooms are all immaculate and modern, plus the showers have rainfall shower heads- can’t get much better than that, right? The property is filled with secret stairwells that might seem confusing at first, but directive signs show you the way. The lobby is a nice air conditioned area with couches for lounging around and ‘the terrace’ offers both indoor and outdoor seating. You’ll find a few other nooks that people make their own to get some work done, plan travels or read.
Who it’s Good For:
We met a variety of different people during our stay at 5footway.inn. There are plenty of single travelers, couples, friend groups and even families taking advantage of this upscale hostel. 5footway.inn caters to those looking for affordability, yet more than just a bed for the night in uber expensive Singapore. The communal spaces that allow guests to take advantage of the property are a big reason you will choose to stay here. It’s still a hostel so don’t expect any glitz or glamor, but for the average traveler, 5footway.inn checks a lot of the boxes.
- Communal spaces: The spacious, inviting lobby, the terrace and other nooks allow you to read, work or hang out whenever you please.
- Daily breakfast: Breads, pastries, cereals and fruits are offered every morning. It’s simple, but there are plenty of options and it’s super filling. They infuse some local things too like kaya jam for your toast and different pastries.
- Local Singaporean Art: Experience Singapore’s unique culture right from the hallways! The terrace is also home to Gallery 76, a display of black and white photos taken by the photojournalist, Edwin Koo.
- Local SIM Card – with preloaded MBs to help you get around the city and stay connected. So cool of a hostel to provide these!
- Strong wifi – we were all working off of the wifi several times during our stay and we were impressed with the speed
- Luggage storage: Super convenient if you arrive before check in or have a late flight.
- Free coffee and water all day! They have a coffee machine so you can make yourself your favorite cappuccino or try a local ‘white coffee’.
- Apple computers: in the lobby if you need
The Whole Scoop:
5footway.inn proves that you don’t need to spend a fortune to have a great experience when traveling to Singapore. The location and views from the property alone are a reason enough to stay here, but 5footway.inn goes above and beyond with their service and the environment they’ve created for guests. To sweeten the deal for our readers (that’s you!) and really give you no other choice but to book a room at 5footway.inn when you’re in Singapore, we’re offering a 10% discount for those who book directly with the hostel and stay before October 2017. To book, email firstname.lastname@example.org and include our discount code: NRT10!